Oct 4, 2008

Selamat Hari Raya!!!

I don't really know exactly how to translate the title.

It was the first day of Hari Raya on Wednesday, so all Singaporeans get a day off that day for our Muslim friends to celebrate the special day. I don't exactly know the meaning or the origin of the occasion but it's something like the Lunar New Year for us Chinese. :)

I went to my Muslim friend's place for dinner on the second day of Hari Raya. My friend is Malay but her husband is Chinese so her 8-year-old son is well-versed in English, Mandarin and Melayu. Effectively tri-lingual huh? Haha.

The dinner was really awesome as we got to taste the wonderful flavours of Peranakan cuisine. We had

- achar; a refreshing salad made from pineapples, onions, green chillies, red chillies and cucumbers

- rendang chicken; something like curry, but richer

- fried noodle; with crabsticks, prawns and vegetables, an awesome dish whipped up by my friend's husband, who is a chef

- nasi byrani or bryani or brani (I have no idea how to spell); a kind of rice mixed with probably tumeric powder and chicken rendang

- kueh!; special must-have cookies during Hari Raya.

I would post pictures of the food if I had them but unfortunately I didn't get to take shots of them. But reading the description of the food itself makes everything sound so yummy, right? ;)

If any of you happen to be in Singapore for a trip, be it for business trip or a short holiday or a long one, make sure you try some of the food I mentioned above. After all, Singapore's a food haven so .. who cares about THE DIET?. ;)

3 comments:

Nick said...

I love all of those....... OMG can't wait to go visit Singapore again... !

Ed said...

It's "Hari Raya Idul Fitri", or the traditional closing of the fasting month of Ramadan.

Theresa said...

nick,

come to singapore! :)

ed,

yep, we spell it as "hari raya adilfitri" though. i didn't know it's for the closing of ramadan. but i know about ramadan. ;)